A Personal Approach To Even The Most Complex Cases

What may happen if my child refuses to visit my ex?

On Behalf of | Dec 14, 2021 | Child Custody |

As some children grow older and seek independence, they may attempt to skip visits with their parents. As reported by Forbes magazine, you may avoid possible contempt-of-court issues by finding out why your child hesitates to visit your ex-spouse.

If your child claims mistreatment, for example, you may have a valid reason to request a modification to a visitation order. Your ex-spouse, however, may need to provide his or her consent so that your child may receive counseling to address any underlying issues.

What may I do if my ex-spouse refuses to discuss visitation changes?

In some situations, speaking with an ex-spouse may resolve a child’s reluctance to visit. If your ex-spouse has different household rules, for example, a teenager may become more willing to visit when they change.

Issues concerning a stepparent or sibling may also fuel a child’s refusal to visit as required. Changing a schedule to allow your teen to spend time with a parent alone at a public place or at a grandparent’s home may help motivate visiting.

When may the court consider changes to a visitation schedule?

According to the Utah Courts’ website, children who have reached 14 years of age may express their wishes concerning custody and parent-time issues. The court may consider a teen’s personal needs when deciding to modify an order.

If your ex-spouse or another member of his or her household displays abusive behavior, the court may consider changing a visitation schedule. After reviewing behavioral documentation, such as school or medical records, a judge may decide to modify an existing parent-time order.

A Utah family court judge establishes child custody and visitation orders based on several factors. If your family’s needs change, you may also need to modify an existing visitation order.