- Business Establishment and Structuring
- Business Acquisitions and Sales
- Commercial Documentation
- Estate Planning
- Financial Institutions
- Lender Support
- Real Estate
Scott N. Rasmussen is a partner in the corporate and commercial section of Scalley & Reading, and has been with the firm since 1987. Mr. Rasmussen was born April 28, 1956, in Salt Lake City, Utah, where he was also raised and, to the relief of his mother, survived to adulthood. He graduated magna cum laude from the University of Utah in 1979 with a B.A. in History. While at the University of Utah, he earned admission into Phi Beta Kappa and Phi Kappa Phi.
Receiving his juris doctor degree from Columbia Law School in 1982, Mr. Rasmussen practiced for five years in New York City. Throughout most of his career, Mr. Rasmussen has focused upon negotiating and drafting documents relating to a variety of business transactions and estate planning matters. The areas of law in which Mr. Rasmussen practices, together with a description of some of the associated services he performs, are set forth below:
- Business Establishment and Structuring. Assisting clients with the establishment and structuring of business entities and the drafting of documents delineating the obligations and rights between and among the various shareholders, partners, and members of such entities.
- Estate Planning. Counseling clients with respect to, and drafting documents associated with, a wide variety of estate planning needs. Estate planning and related documents which Mr. Rasmussen regularly drafts include revocable and irrevocable trusts, wills, insurance trusts, charitable remainder unitrusts, prenuptial agreements, separate property agreements, and the documents necessary to establish private foundations.
- Financial Institutions. Representing financial institutions in connection with commercial loans and a broad range of regulatory, mergers and acquisition, and real estate matters.
- Real Estate. Negotiating and drafting documents associated with both simple and complex real property acquisitions, dispositions, leases, and workouts.
- Business Acquisitions and Sales. Representing clients in connection with, and negotiating and drafting documents relating to, business acquisitions and sales.
- Commercial Documents. Negotiating and drafting financing, license, royalty, development, management, employment, and other related agreements and documents.
From 1975-1977, Mr. Rasmussen served as a missionary for the L.D.S. Church in the Republic of Korea. As a consequence of that experience, he speaks Korean and is willing to eat small portions of kimchi on infrequent occasions.
Mr. Rasmussen is married to a happily retired attorney, and together they have four children. His interests include baseball, fly-fishing, literature, and gardening. In an effort to combat an ever-declining metabolism and a constantly expanding waistline, Mr. Rasmussen has reluctantly ceased consuming massive quantities of ice cream, and now exercises regularly.
- Columbia Law School, New York, New York
- J.D. - 1982
- University of Utah, Salt Lake City, Utah
- B.A. - 1979
- Honors: magna cum laude
- Honors: Phi Beta Kappa
- Honors: Phi Kappa Phi
- Major: History
- Utah, 1988
- New York, 1983