A Personal Approach To Even The Most Complex Cases

Salt Lake City Family Law Lawyers

At Scalley Reading Bates Hansen & Rasmussen, P.C., we have extensive experience in handling a wide variety of family law related matters. Whether you are seeking a divorce or declaration of paternity, require assistance in enforcing the terms of an existing decree of divorce, or have the wonderful opportunity of adopting a child into your family, we can help.

Divorce And Annulment

The dissolution of a marriage has to rank as one of the most stressful times in a person’s life. Our Scalley Reading Bates Hansen & Rasmussen, P.C., family law attorneys bring years of legal experience and emotional peace of mind to the job of helping clients through these trying times. When the breakup of marriage becomes inevitable, we will vigorously pursue your case to ensure your rights are protected. We understand the legal steps needed to make certain you will receive your fair share of spousal support/alimony, child support, as well as an equitable division of your marital assets.


Court may not be your only option to resolve your divorce. Oftentimes, divorces may be resolved through the less costly means of mediation. Mediation is a process through which parties can meet to settle their disputes through negotiation. We can help you negotiate a divorce settlement through mediation, and ensure that you receive a settlement that is both fair and reasonable.

Custody And Visitation

If minor children are involved in a divorce proceeding, the court must make a determination as to where the children will reside. Utah courts will generally grant one parent primary custody, or primary custodial care, of the parties’ minor child or children. The children will then live most of the year with the parent granted primary physical custody. However, there are many variations to these physical custody arrangements, which may include joint physical custody where both parents provide substantially equal custodial care.

The parent who does not receive primary custodial care is referred to as the noncustodial parent and will be granted visitation rights. Visitation is more accurately referred to as parent-time, meaning the time the non-residential parent spends with the minor children. The family law attorneys at Scalley Reading Bates Hansen & Rasmussen, P.C., will work hard to secure parents the time and contact they deserve with their children.

Child Support

Utah law requires that the noncustodial parent contribute financial support to the custodial parent for the care of the parties ’ minor children. If you are a custodial parent who is not receiving child support payments from the noncustodial parent, we can assist you in petitioning the court to require that such payments occur.

If you are a non-custodial parent and are struggling to pay the child support obligation which has been imposed upon you, we can assist in determining whether your circumstances justify modification of the child support order.

Post Divorce Matters

Oftentimes after a divorce, one of the parties fails to live up to his or her obligations that were imposed under the decree of divorce. We can help you petition the court to require your former spouse to live up to his or her court-ordered obligations. Whether your former spouse is failing to pay child support, alimony or daycare expenses, or refusing to follow the court-ordered visitation guidelines, we will act aggressively to ensure your former spouse complies with his or her obligations under the decree.


For the many people who wish to open their homes to another child, Scalley Reading Bates Hansen & Rasmussen, P.C., stands ready to do everything we can to help you realize your dreams.

Adoption is often a lengthy process, with significant red tape and bureaucracy. We can help you through this process so that you can start your new family with as little delay as possible.

Family Law Attorneys:

Contact Us Today

You deserve to have experienced counsel representing you. Call, fax or email our Salt Lake City office today to schedule your initial consultation. Please call 866-471-0614.