Marlon L. Bates
- Creditor Bankruptcy
- Real Estate
- Business Organizations
Marlon Bates has practiced real estate and business law, including both transactional work and litigation, since graduating from law school in 1986. He has been a partner at the firm since 1991 and has served as the firm's managing partner on three occasions. He represents a wide variety of clients including banks, mortgage companies, credit unions, loan servicing companies, title insurance companies, property managers, developers, landlords, real estate brokers and many other businesses.
The largest segment of Marlon's practice concentrates on foreclosures and creditor bankruptcy law. He has handled thousands of foreclosures and bankruptcies for a wide variety of banks, credit unions, and servicing companies. He has an experienced team of paralegals and associates who assist him in doing this work quickly and inexpensively.
Marlon has been honored by LPS Default Solutions as one of its top attorneys for excellence in both foreclosures and bankruptcies. For the past 10 years he has been selected by his peers as one of Utah's top creditor's rights attorneys in Utah Business Magazine's listing of Utah's legal elite, and is an "AV" rated attorney, the highest rating according to his peers in the legal community, as determined by Martindale-Hubbell, the premier legal listing service in the United States. Marlon is approved counsel by both Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac and was selected for designation as a Lawyer of Distinction in Real Estate.
Marlon also has a great deal of experience in litigation. He has tried cases before state and federal courts, and has handled appeals before the Utah Court of Appeals and the Utah Supreme Court. He served as a Small Claims Court judge for seven years and has taught continuing legal education courses on real estate litigation, foreclosures and creditor bankruptcy on both a state and national level.
Marlon earned an Associates of Arts Degree (highest honors) from Ricks College in Rexburg, Idaho in 1981. He then received his Bachelors Degree (Magna Cum Laude) from Brigham Young University in Provo, Utah in 1983. In 1986, he received his Juris Doctor Degree from the National Law Center at George Washington University in Washington, D.C., where he was a member of the Moot Court Honors Board and the Consumer Protection Reporting Service.
- George Washington University National Law Center, Washington, District of Columbia
- Juris Doctor - 1986
- Honors: Member, Moot Court Board, 1984-1986
- Honors: Commercial Protection Reporting Service, Staff Member, 1985-1986
- Honors: Legal Research and Writing (Top 5%)
- Honors: Moot Court (Top 5%)
- Brigham Young University, Provo, Utah
- Bachelor of Arts - 1983
- Honors: magna cum laude
- Honors: Jacob Spori Scholar
- Honors: Edwin S. Hinckley Scholar
- Honors: Phi Kappa Phi, Honor Society
- Ricks College, Rexburg, Idaho
- Associate of Arts - 1981
- Honors: Highest Honors
- Utah, 1986
- U.S. Federal Courts, 1986
- Utah's Legal Elite, Utah Business Magazine
- "AV" Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
- Lawyer of Distinction- Real Estate
Classes & Seminars
- Taught, Real Estate Litigation and Evictions
- Taught, Title Insurance Courses
- Taught, Real Estate Liens and Foreclosures
- Taught, Deficiency Judgments
- Third Circuit Court of Salt Lake City, Small Claims Division, Judge Pro Tem, 1989 to 1995
- Salt Lake County Bar Association, Member
- American Bar Association, Member
- Utah State Bar Association, Member
- Legal League 100, Member
- American Legal and Financial Network, Member